Deferment - Domestic Undergraduate

What do we mean by deferment?

If you receive an offer to enrol in a degree at UNSW but cannot start straight away, you can defer or delay starting your degree for up to 2 years.

Who can defer?

If you got an offer to study at UNSW as a domestic undergraduate and you haven’t been given a deferment for the same (or a similar) degree before, then you can defer your offer. The only exceptions are:

  • Co-op programs
  • Programs at UNSW Canberra
  • One year Honours programs
  • The Diploma in Professional Practice (DPP)

Note: Students are not permitted to study at the level of AQF Diploma or above whilst on deferment.


How do I defer?

This depends on where you are up to in the offer acceptance process:

1. You haven’t yet logged in to myUNSW to accept or defer your offer

You simply defer your offer through the myUNSW Accept Online process. Follow the instructions for accepting your offer -   

Deferment is one of the options in ‘Accept Online’. When you request deferment online you can save or print the screen for your records. Once your deferment has been processed by the

Admissions Office you will be emailed a Deferment Confirmation letter with information on how to take up your deferred place in a future semester. If you haven't received your Deferment    

Confirmation letter within two weeks of deferring your offer, call the UNSW Admissions Office on +61 (2) 9385 3656 or make an enquiry at

2. You have accepted your offer via myUNSW but have not enrolled in any courses

If you have already accepted your offer and then decide before you enrol in any courses that you want to defer you will need to contact the Admissions Office via and request a deferment.  You must apply to defer no later than the census date (31 March for Semester One intake and 31 August for Semester Two intake).

3. You have accepted your offer via myUNSW and are enrolled in at least one course

If you have already accepted your offer and enrolled in at least one course and then decide that you want to defer you can request a deferment via myUNSW’s online Program

Leave/Discontinuation service. Log into myUNSW and go to My Student Profile tab > My Student Services channel > Online Services > Program Leave/Discontinuation. Complete the online form and choose 'Deferral' as your leave catagory. You must apply to defer

no later than the census date (31 March for Semester One intake and 31 August for Semester Two intake).

Can I defer and start my degree mid-year?

The flexibility we provide at UNSW means that most programs can be deferred to start in either Semester One or Semester Two (mid-year). A small number of programs are not available to commence mid-year, including:

• Arts and Social Sciences - Music, Social Work
• Built Environment - All degrees
• Engineering - Civil Engineering (with Architecture)
• Law - Combined Law
• Medicine - Medicine, Exercise Physiology
• Science - Medical Science, Optometry, Psychology
• Enabling Programs - UNSW Prep, UPP

Please note that for some programs the full range of courses offered in Semester One may not be offered in Semester Two. Depending on your choice of courses, you may need to wait until Semester One of the following year to enrol in some subjects e.g. language studies. For further information in relation to restrictions on mid-year enrolment, contact your Faculty Office.

Do I have to pay to defer?

No. It does not cost anything to defer your degree.

Can my deferment lapse?

Yes. If you undertake study at AQF Diploma level or higher during your deferment your deferment will lapse. To be considered for admission to UNSW you will need to reapply through UAC and declare all of your studies.

How do I take up my deferred place?

Later in the year you simply log in to UNSW’s Accept Online facility and you can accept your deferred offer and enrol. Information on when and how to do this will be included in your Confirmation of Deferment letter which will be emailed to you when you defer.

Further information

Tel: +61 2 9385 3656